Oh Yes we did – we WENT there. Not to your local Campus, or even your Facebook Page… But do you know who COULD BE? Your Future Employer. Play time is over (Unless of course, you follow our Blog. We like to be fun, quirky, and edgy – BUT, still appropriate for kids). NEW Grads: Here are some TIPS to get ready for life AFTER College. DINOSAURS: Doesn’t hurt to read this, we are hoping you DON’T have any Social Media Faux Pas (or Cavemen in the closet) – You may be on Facebook, but let’s “Face” it… it’s all new for you, right? We don’t want to make any assumptions here, but don’t feel offended if we call you a “Dinosaur”. You are the OTHER group. If you are not a NEW Grad, you are a Dinosaur. That is how FAST technology – and Social Media – Changes. If you know what Snapchat is, consider yourself to be in the minority. The Streaker of sorts. The 24 hour super Ninja – with a speckle of humility. Okay, it’s time – Let’s get to the TIPS. By the way, you really didn’t think we would make all your Social Media Profiles “G Rated” at the click of a button? (Welcome Email Followers…)
TIPS – For NEW Grads and Dinosaurs… and anyone in between… How to Give yourself the BEST chance for getting a NEW job (Social Media lovers – pay attention):
- Google Yourself – Sure, it’s not “technically” Social Media, but it IS the first thing anyone does when your name gets brought into conversation. (Sidebar, but when I google myself I get the FAMOUS version of myself, “I ain’t missing you at all”. No really, I am not)
- Review Your Instagram POSTS – Okay, so you have 750 POSTS, since Sophomore year. Maybe the first 500? aren’t so becoming. Don’t feel like it was all for naught, but you CAN delete them. Keep the ones that show you in a better light. For the other 500, that’s what Snapchat was created for? Ummm… Maybe just delete them. Dinosaurs: I think you are safe here? Do you have Instagram? 25 Points, if you do.
- LinkedIn – this is the Kingpin of the block. The T-REX (Little Dinosaur context – we are on a roll, AND this one IS for Dinosaurs… NEW Grads, you too). If you don’t have a LinkedIn Profile you are doing yourself a disservice. Use a professional photo and take the time to write-up a nice Bio and professional / educational history. This is the TOP place hiring professionals go. Some experts use this INSTEAD of a Resume.
- Speaking of RESUMES… Showcase the NEW You. You may have an old iteration of your resume. Perhaps you never really used one before? That’s okay. BUT, perfect time to showcase the NEW you. Not the you who was streaking through Campus when your school won the NCAA tournament. A more refined you. One who Volunteered, got good grades, did an internship… Work with us here. We DON’T want to know about the streaking incident or how your dorm was Party Central. More Important, who are you NOW? How will the prospective company see you fitting in? Remember, brand and reputation are ALWAYS important to a company. Dinosaurs: Let go of the Old. That job you worked at 24 years ago that has NOTHING to do with what you do now, why are you showing that? Use that Prime Real Estate to beef up your Tech section or Social Media skills.
- … You don’t have to completely erase who you “were”. We all have a storied past. The key is not to appear uber-professional and without fault, but remove embarrassing incidents, tacky photos or episodes of poor judgement (By the way, not just picking on the Men here). We are all human and there is a difference between funny and appropriate versus completely inappropriate. Personality shines through and employers don’t want a stick in the mud.
- Your Bizzeebobber Role Model Profile – The beauty here is that you have NOTHING to worry about. Noone sees your real name, you can help kids learn about your Occupation, and a fun avatar conceals your identity. Let us clarify, we don’t want any of those 500 images you JUST deleted. Fun, but respectful. Kids peruse our site, so just making sure here. Oh, and this was an example of subtle marketing. We ASSUME you have already created your Occupational profile. Maybe this should have been item #1… But, if you haven’t yet – What are you waiting for?
If you missed it, we are excited about Social Media.